Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Praying for a child

I held a sweet baby in my arms last night as she cried. I remembered holding my own children late at night and how I would take the time to pray for them. To first of all to pray that they would stop crying :) and then to pray for their future and for God to work in their lives. As I began to pray for this sweet baby, I realized that her past had been pretty dark and the prayers for her were more desperate than the prayers for my own children. My children had a home to call their own, a healthy Christian mom and dad who loved them, and no obvious threat of a horrible disease looming in their future. But Mary lives in an orphanage, her mother died and no one knows much about her dad and most think he is also dead. It is believed that her mother died of AIDS so the sad reality is that Mary very well could be HIV+.
So as I pray for Mary, I pray for a home she can call her own with a wonderful mom and dad who love her. I pray most desperately for the thing that could hinder the other two requests from happening and that is that Mary is not HIV+. I pray, I hope and I love. God reminds me that He says "I know the plans that I have for you, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 This is the promise I am claiming for Mary.

No comments: