Sunday, October 30, 2011

No More Lies

She stood in front of me.  I took her hands and told her to look in my eyes.  I found out earlier in the week that she had been habitually called "the HIV girl" by a housemate.   The accuser sat behind us as I looked deep into this broken little girl's eyes.  "I want you and everyone here to know something.  You do not have HIV and never have.  It is a lie that you are an HIV girl."
Relief flooded over the little girl, a weight was lifted.  Her accuser ashamed, cowered in the corner.  "You don't have to believe the lies," I continued.  If someone tells you something, you can come to your house mother or to me and ask.  We will tell you the truth.

We all have an accuser, one who lies to us in our heads and through other people and things.  I am so often guilty of having a terrible weight on me, because I have listened to the lies of my accuser just like that little girl did.  God's word and His Spirit is our truth and as we read and recall His Word and listen to His Spirit, our accuser cowers in the corner not able to feed us lies anymore.

Isaiah 43:1 & 10 NIV

But now, this is what the LORD says-- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.